Courage is an apostolate of the Roman Catholic Church to assist adults with same-sex attractions. Endorsed by the Pontifical Council for the Family, Courage seeks to help persons with same-sex attractions develop an interior life of chastity and move beyond the confines of the homosexual identity to a more complete identity in Christ. Courage meetings provide members a place to share their concerns and struggles, to support one another and find support for themselves. Strict confidentiality is maintained.
Five Goals for Courage
Members strive to live according to the Five Goals of Courage, which are read at the start of each meeting:
- Live chaste lives in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church’s teaching on homosexuality. (Chastity)
- Dedicate one’s life to Christ through service to others, spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist. (Prayer and Dedication)
- Foster a spirit of fellowship in which all may share thoughts and experiences, and so ensure that no one will have to face the problems of homosexuality alone. (Fellowship)
- Be mindful of the truth that chaste friendships are not only possible but necessary in a chaste Christian life and in doing so provide encouragement to one another in forming and sustaining them. (Support)
- Live lives that may serve as good examples to others. (Good Example)
EnCourage is an apostolate which provides pastoral care for families and friends of people who experience same-sex attractions and/or gender dysphoria. In many cases, their loved ones have adopted the LGBTQ label, and may have moved away from actively practicing their faith.
Fr. Frederick Schmit, O Praem, Chaplain
Email: [email protected]
Celebrating personal integration and promoting solidarity beyond the LGBT+ paradigm
Eden Invitation is the project of two Catholic young adults, where they share about living faithfully and wholly as children of God who also experience same sex attraction. Their website provides resources, stories, and opportunities for discussion. They host an annual retreat as well as book clubs throughout the year.