Youth Leader 101
HOW DO I BECOME A YOUTH & YOUNG ADULT MINISTER?
To be a Youth Minister, Confirmation Coordinator, Youth Ministry Director, Young Adult Coordinator will require the same basic principles (Read: Mt 28:19-20 and Mt 22:37-40).
- To Love & Know God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, and Our Savior’s Mama – The Virgin Mary.
- Know, Love & Serve His Church – traditions, prayers, practices, and the people that make up this beautiful Church.
- Be prepared to be prepared (Formation/Training).
- Share the faith you love and profess by your words and action.
WHERE DO I BEGIN?
- Prayer: Keep sharing and listening about this desire and let God do the leading.
- Training/Formation: Contact the Institute for Pastoral Ministry (IPM), Youth and Young Adult Ministry or your local university/college.
- Experience: If you haven’t yet, start getting experience by volunteering:
- Local parish youth ministry
- Service Catholic organizations
- Pastoral Center Internship
This way you can define/decide what you want to do. (Campus ministry, youth ministry, young adult ministry, children’s faith formation etc.)
Last two recommendations…
- Know your Diocese
+ Know the terminology of youth and young adult ministry (document)
- Read related ministry books
+ Youth Ministry – Renewing the Vision
+ Young Adult Ministry – Sons and Daughters of the Light
+ Spanish Speaking Youth Ministry –Conclusiones del PENPJH