Each day in the United States, approximately 3,800 young people under 18 years of age smoke their first cigarette, and an estimated 1,000 youth in that age group become daily cigarette smokers.
How do e-cigarettes work? National Institutes of Health: www.drugabuse.gov
Electronic cigarettes (also called e-cigarettes or electronic nicotine delivery systems) are battery-operated devices designed to deliver nicotine with flavorings and other chemicals to users in vapor instead of smoke. They can be manufactured to resemble traditional tobacco cigarettes, cigars or pipes, or even everyday items like pens or USB memory sticks; newer devices, such as those with fillable tanks, may look different. More than 250 different e-cigarette brands are currently on the market.
While e-cigarettes are often promoted as safer alternatives to traditional cigarettes, which deliver nicotine by burning tobacco, little is actually known yet about the health risks of using these devices.
Hookahs are water pipes that are used to smoke specially made tobacco that comes in different flavors, such as apple, mint, cherry, chocolate, coconut, licorice, cappuccino, and watermelon. Although many users think it is less harmful, hookah smoking has many of the same health risks as cigarette smoking.
See some of the health effects of hookah smoke from the Centers for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov
South County Provider
Agency contact information:
Phone: 1-866-New-Lung or 1-866-639-5864
- “Kickin’ It” 5 Week Quit Smoking Series
- “Kick Ash” Quit Smoking Classes for teens
- Seminars for a broad overview of quit smoking techniques to help you become tobacco-free
- Quit Smoking Support Groups; call for schedule or to register
- In-Person Individualized Counseling; 60 minute sessions with a smoking cessation counselor
- Telephone Counseling service for individualized help, information, & support from the convenience of home/workplace. 30 minute sessions also available.
- All programs are FREE, held throughout south Orange County, & available in Spanish, Korean, & Vietnamese
Emmanuel Ch, Rear Bldg
1145 Valencia Mesa Drive
Other meeting locations are available, to locate one closer to you, click here.
12 Step program offering group support and recovery from nicotine addiction