Same Sex Attraction
- Live chaste lives in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church’s teaching on homosexuality. (Chastity)
- Dedicate one’s life to Christ through service to others, spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist. (Prayer and Dedication)
- Foster a spirit of fellowship in which all may share thoughts and experiences, and so ensure that no one will have to face the problems of homosexuality alone. (Fellowship)
- Be mindful of the truth that chaste friendships are not only possible but necessary in a chaste Christian life and in doing so provide encouragement to one another in forming and sustaining them. (Support)
- Live lives that may serve as good examples to others. (Good Example)
EnCourage is an apostolate which provides pastoral care for families and friends of people who experience same-sex attractions and/or gender dysphoria. In many cases, their loved ones have adopted the LGBTQ label, and may have moved away from actively practicing their faith.
Fr. Hugh Barbour, O Praem, Chaplain
Celebrating personal integration and promoting solidarity beyond the LGBT+ paradigm
Eden Invitation is the project of two Catholic young adults, where they share about living faithfully and wholly as children of God who also experience same sex attraction. Their website provides resources, stories, and opportunities for discussion. They host an annual retreat as well as book clubs throughout the year.
Hear from three Catholics who intimately and frankly share how they navigate the waters of self-understanding, faith, and homosexuality in this hour-long film.
FR. BOCHANSKI ANSWERS YOUNG PEOPLE’S QUESTIONS
Fr. Philip Bochanski, Executive Director of Courage, answered questions from young people and a youth minister on the Archdiocese of Bridgeport’s The Face of Prayer site. Questions included:
- What does the Church have to say about bisexual and transgender people?
- Why does the Church teach that gay marriage is wrong?
- If your have friends who are transgender, do you call them by their preferred name and pronouns?
- Do we still welcome gays into our [Church] community?