Emmaus Student Portal – studentportal.rcbo.org
The role of the catechist that of a witness to the truth, goodness and beauty of following Jesus in the midst of His Church. Just like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, the catechist has met Jesus along the way, has recognized Him in the breaking of the bread and the opening of the Scriptures, and now shares with others the good news of the resurrected One. (Luke 24:13-35).
Basic Certification is valid for 4 years. Re-Certification is the process to renew Basic Certification status for another year – coming Fall 2021
Re-Certification is the process of renewing basic certification after the initial four year period. All are encouraged to participate in continual formation in Catholic Theology. The re-certification process may begin on the first date that a valid certificate was granted. Hours can be accrued solely for the next certification period. Accrual of time beyond this four year period will not be accepted towards re-certification. Basic Certificates will be issued at the end of April, August and December. All three steps and 6 additional hours and observation in religion must be submitted on the EMMAUS Student Portal for review by the 1st of the month which certificates are issued. In addition to the re-cert application form, there is a $10.00 processing fee, please make sure to mail in your check or call us via phone to pay with credit/debit card.
Important: please note: for the year 2020/2021, as a bridge to the new path, re-certification can be accomplished by the following click here to download bridge year path
After initial certification the catechist will continue the path of formation as a missionary disciple with the following Steps: (Each Step will be supplemented by 6 additional hours of enrichment to be selected from various institutes and/or approved catechetical conferences a total of 18 additional hours).
Step/Year One: Called and Gifted Workshop plus 6hrs
Step/Year Two: Accompaniment Training plus 6hrs
Step/Year Three: Telling the Great Story plus 6hrs
1 teaching observation in religion – requirement for catechist and catholic school teachers (If needed, click here for observation form)
What about the 6 additional enrichment hours per step? There are a number of ways to accomplish this.
- Enrichment hours can be done through courses taken through the Emmaus Institute of the Diocese of Orange – please stay connected for announcements of those courses. In addition your registration through the Catechetical Institute (CI) of Franciscan University of Steubenville provides access to hundreds of online courses for re-certification. Access, if done through Emmaus Institute, will cost only $75 for an entire year, for as many courses as desired.
- Enrichment hours can also be done through Conference courses/classes taken online or live. Examples of these: Diocesan Ministries Celebration (DMC), Los Angeles Religious Education Congress, Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC) Convention, Loyola Institute (LI), CSJ Network. Intended workshops and courses must be approved by the Office for Evangelization and Faith Formation. Proof of attendance must be provided for credit toward re-certification.
- Local workshops, conferences, and courses connected to and approved by the Office for Evangelization and Faith Formation (EFF) may also be used for enrichment hours
Re-Certification hours may be completed by:
- Workshops offered during Diocesan Ministries Celebration in Fall
- Courses and workshops offered through the Emmaus Institute of the Diocese of Orange.
- Workshops, In-services and Convocations that are religion based offered through the Office for Evangelization & Faith formation (Catholic Schools, Youth Ministry, Parish Faith Formation) and other Diocesan offices.
- Workshops offered at the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress – see below to download equivalencies flyer that contains LA Religious Education Congress Equivalencies.
- Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC) Convention, Loyola Institute (LI), CSJ Network.
Please inquire at the EFF Office to make requests for conference or Institute not listed here for approval.
Events not suitable for consideration:
|Any event in which the date precedes your last certification date||Basic Certification Courses||Classes you teach or Retreat you plan or facilitate|
|Any event that is not Catholic based||Liturgy or prayer service||Prayer group meetings or
|Rosaries||Concerts||Books, movies or audio tape|
Re-Certification Lapse – If the certification has lapsed more than four (4) years, the Basic Certification process must be completed again.
Download complete informational guidelines for Re-certification – coming soon
Ready to Re-Certify
Download Re-Certification Application Form – click here
Download Observation Form – coming soon
Faith Formation Parish Leaders – Download Re-certification Verification Group Form – click here
L.A. RELIGIOUS EDUCATION CONGRESS EQUIVALENCIES
- 2021 Los Angeles Religious Education Congress Equivalencies (English & Spanish) – to post December 2020