Mother’s Day Roses
March 1, 2019
Dear Respect Life Parish Reps,
The Mother’s Day Rose Collection to support our Respect Life Centers or Clinics is Sunday, May 12th. Please contact your pastor to discuss the possibility of hosting this collection at your parish. An email with details will be sent to all pastors.
Once you have received your pastor’s approval:
- Contact your parish Business Manager and inform them that they will need to send the proceeds from your donations directly to the organization which you have partnered with. (DO NOT send the money to the Diocese).
- Determine how many roses/ carnations will be needed for all your Masses.
- Contact the organization you wish to support and they will guide you in placing your flower order.
- Order the flowers as soon as possible, as the centers or clinics coordinate with the wholesaler to get the best price.
- Click here for a proposed bulletin notice to send to your bulletin editor to run the weekends of April 27/28 and May 4/5.
Here are a few of the organizations that are participating in this year’s collection (if the name of the organization you’d like to send a collection to is not here, please reach out to me at email@example.com):
Santa Ana Life Center
Cruz Rios at 714-835-5433 or firstname.lastname@example.org
La Habra Life Center
Call Mecki Grothus at 562-691-9395 or email@example.com
Obria Health Clinics
Mission Viejo, Santa Ana, Orange
Keith Cotton 949-916-0694 (office)
**Please mail directly to our corporate office, at 1200 Main St. Suite C, Irvine, CA 92614, as our clinics do not receive mail delivery**
IMPORTANT: These flowers cannot be “sold” at the parish unless sales tax is charged. Hence, the bulletin notice, posters, and signs cannot say “roses or carnation sale”. We must emphasize that we are asking for a donation and that those who donate will receive a flower as a thank you for their donation. At some point along the process of acquiring the flowers, sales tax must be paid.
- When the Center purchases the flowers from the wholesaler, they must pay sales tax. If the Parish purchases the flowers from the wholesaler, then the parish must pay the sales tax.
- In cases where the Parish picks up and pays for the roses from the wholesaler, they should not sign a resale certificate. (If you sign it, you are stating that you are selling the flowers and will then need to charge sales tax on the whole donation amount.)
- Consider this as analogous to the Knights of Columbus Tootsie Roll collection. They give out Tootsie Roll candies and then offer the people the opportunity to give a donation. You’re doing much the same thing. You are asking for a donation; and then, as a “thank you”, you are giving them a flower.
- You may post a “suggested donation” sign to cover the costs of the flowers, but it is not required.
Please adhere to these guidelines to ensure that we are compliant with tax law. If you have any questions, or would like your marketing material reviewed before it goes out, please do not hesitate to contact Alejandra Luna: 714-282-6029 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your parish has not participated in this worthy endeavor in the past, please consider it. Maybe this is the year to try it! For those parishes that have participated in the past and will be participating again this year, thank you!
Alejandra Luna | Outreach Coordinator
Esther Ramirez | Program Coordinator
Office of Life, Justice & Peace