Mother’s Day Roses
April 6, 2021
Dear Respect Life Parish Reps,
The Mother’s Day Rose Collection to support our Respect Life Centers or Clinics is Sunday, May 9th. Please contact your pastor to discuss the possibility of hosting this collection at your parish.
Once you have received your pastor’s approval:
- Contact your parish Business Manager and inform them that they will need to send the proceeds from your donations directly to the organization which you have partnered with. (DO NOT send the money to the Diocese).
- Determine how many roses/ carnations will be needed for all your Masses.
- Contact the organization you wish to support and they will guide you in placing your flower order.
- Order the flowers as soon as possible, as the centers or clinics coordinate with the wholesaler to get the best price.
- Click here for a proposed bulletin notice to send to your bulletin editor to run the weekends of April 24/25 and May 1/2.
Here are a few of the organizations that are participating in this year’s collection (if the name of the organization you’d like to send a collection to is not here, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org):
Santa Ana Life Center
Megan Morris, Coordinator, 714-835-5433 or email@example.com
The La Habra Life Center Pregnancy Clinic
Call Shannon Trott at 562-691-9395 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Obria Medical Clinics and The Obria Group
Santa Ana, Tustin
Keyasha Kuykindall 949.273.5040 (Office)
**Please mail directly to our corporate office, at 17731 Irvine Blvd., Ste.201 – B, Tustin, CA 92780, as our clinics do not receive mail delivery**
IMPORTANT: These flowers cannot be “sold” at the parish unless sales tax is charged. Hence, the bulletin notice, posters, and signs cannot say “roses or carnation sale”. We must emphasize that we are asking for a donation and that those who donate will receive a flower as a thank you for their donation. At some point along the process of acquiring the flowers, sales tax must be paid.
- When the Center purchases the flowers from the wholesaler, they must pay sales tax. If the Parish purchases the flowers from the wholesaler, then the parish must pay the sales tax.
- In cases where the Parish picks up and pays for the roses from the wholesaler, they should not sign a resale certificate. (If you sign it, you are stating that you are selling the flowers and will then need to charge sales tax on the whole donation amount.)
- Consider this as analogous to the Knights of Columbus Tootsie Roll collection. They give out Tootsie Roll candies and then offer the people the opportunity to give a donation. You’re doing much the same thing. You are asking for a donation; and then, as a “thank you”, you are giving them a flower.
- You may post a “suggested donation” sign to cover the costs of the flowers, but it is not required.
Please adhere to these guidelines to ensure that we are compliant with tax law. If you have any questions, or would like your marketing material reviewed before it goes out, please do not hesitate to contact Greg Walgenbach: 714-282-3058 or email@example.com.
If your parish has not participated in this worthy endeavor in the past, please consider it. Maybe this is the year to try it! For those parishes that have participated in the past and will be participating again this year, thank you!
Office of Life, Justice & Peace