Covenant with the Faithful
In January, 2004, the Bishops of the Diocese of Orange announced The Covenant with the Faithful, in which they pledged to implement in every way the National Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People and our own diocesan policies for the prevention of the abuse of children and young people.
I, KEVIN VANN, BISHOP OF ORANGE, CA AND MY BROTHER BISHOPS OF THE DIOCESE PLEDGE THE COVENANT WITH THE FAITHFUL CONSISTING OF THESE SEVEN THEMES
- We will continue to do everything possible to help the healing process of the victims of sexual abuse.
- We will implement in every respect the American Catholic Bishops’ The National Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People and our own diocesan policies for the prevention of the abuse of children and young people.
- We will endeavor to heal the hurt among the clergy, religious and laity, who have been humiliated, scorned and disgraced by the actions of those priests who sexually abused children and young people and the leaders who failed to appreciate the severity of these actions and failed to respond appropriately.
- We will work collaboratively with all members of the Diocese to promote an atmosphere of openness and trust, and empower them as partners in parochial affairs and thereby create a new era for our Church in Orange County.
- We will be open, honest and forthright in our public statements to the media, and consistent and transparent in our communications with the Catholics of our Diocese.
- We will restore confidence in our role as Bishops.
- We will lead the rededication of the Diocese of Orange as an Ambassador of God’s Love that cares about the welfare of the entire county, especially the disenfranchised and the poor.