Catechesis of the Good Shepherd – Locations
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is a sensorially rich experience for children from the ages of 3 to 12 years that gives children the opportunity to grow in love and knowledge of God through the Christian tradition. It is rooted in the Bible, the liturgy of the Church, and the educational principles of Maria Montessori. Central to this program is the Atrium, a sacred space prepared for the children. A place of beauty, the atrium is designed for being with and enjoying God, listening to God’s Word, and praying.
“Though you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned, you have revealed them to the childlike.” – Matthew 11:25
The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is a distinct approach to catechesis, through which the youngest children develop deep, lifelong relationships with Christ and His Church.
Originating in Rome in the 1950s, the Catechesis uses a rich Montessori approach to engage children as young as 2 1/2 in age-appropriate, hands-on materials, based on Sacred Scripture and the Liturgy.
Because it engages children so profoundly, it has become the preferred approach to young children’s catechesis in a growing number of dioceses, parishes and schools around the U.S and the world. In recent years it has also begun to thrive here in the Diocese of Orange.
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is available in the following parishes:
- St. Norbert – 300 E Taft Ave, Orange, CA 92865 | (714) 637-6822 | www.stnorbertchurch.org
- St. Vincent de Paul – 8345 Talbert Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92646 | (714) 842-3000 | svdphb.org
- St. Philip Benizi – 235 S Pine Dr, Fullerton, CA 92833 | (714) 871-3610 | www.spbenizi.com
- St. Irenaeus – 5201 Evergreen Dr, Cypress, CA | (714) 826-0760 | www.sticypress.org
- St. Columban – 10801 Stanford Ave, Garden Grove, CA 92840 | (714) 534-1174 | www.saintcolumbanchurch.org
It is also available at the following schools:
- Mission Basilica School – 31641 El Camino Real, San Juan Capistrano, 92675 | (949) 234-1385 | www.missionbasilicaschool.org
- St. Edward School – 33866 Calle La Primavera, Dana Point, CA 92629 | (949) 496-1241 | www.setcps.com
- St. Columban School – 10855 Stanford Ave, Garden Grove, CA 92840 | (714) 534-3947 | www.saintcolumbanschool.com
Each course involves approximately 96 hours of training, usually spread over twelve – eighteen months. Catechists must be certified in Level 1 (catechesis for 3-6 year olds) before training in Level 2 (6-9 year olds), and must be certified in Level 2 before training in Level 3 (9-12 year olds).