The Catechist is a faithful witness of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He or she is called to live that witness in service to the Church Christ founded. Just like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, the Catechist has met the Lord along the way, has recognized Him in the breaking of the bread and the opening of the Scriptures and now shares with others the Good News of the Resurrected Christ (Luke 24:13-35).
Certification is valid for a two-year period and re-certification should be completed before the expiration of Basic Certification. The re-certification process may begin on the first date that a valid certificate was granted. Basic Certificates will be issued at the end of April, August and December. All three steps and 6 additional hours and observation in religion must be submitted on the EMMAUS Student Portal for review by the 1st of the month when certificates are issued.
After initial certification the catechist will continue the path of formation as a missionary disciple with the following steps. Each Step will be supplemented by 6 additional hours of enrichment to be selected from various institutes and/or approved catechetical conferences.
Step/Year One: Accompaniment Training, plus 6 enrichment hours
Step/Year Two: Called and Gifted Workshop, plus 6 enrichment hours
Step/Year Three: Telling the Great Story, plus 6 enrichment hours
1 Teaching Observation in Religion – Requirement for Catechist and Catholic School Teachers (Download Observation Form)
How To Begin
Enrichment hours may be completed by:
- Courses and workshops offered through the Emmaus Institute either live or online.
- Workshops, In-services and Convocations that are religion based offered through the Office for Evangelization & Faith formation (Catholic Schools, Youth Ministry, Parish Faith Formation) and other Diocesan offices.
- Workshops offered at the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress – see below to download listing of approved workshops
- Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC) Convention, Loyola Institute (LI), CSJ Network.
Please inquire with the Emmaus Institute Office to make requests for conference or Institutes not listed here for approval.
Events not suitable for consideration:
- Any event in which the date precedes your last re-certification renewal.
- Books, Movies or audio tapes
Re-Certification Lapse – If your annual certification has lapsed more than four (4) years, the Basic Certification process must be completed again.
Ready to Re-Certify
Faith Formation Parish Leaders: Download Re-certification Verification Group Form
LA Religious Education Congress
- 2021 Los Angeles Religious Education Congress List of Approved Workshops (English , Spanish & Vietnamese)