To assist the Bishop and the greater Diocesan community on matters pertaining to ecumenism and interreligious affairs; working together with the many faith traditions in our community to promote dialogue, mutual understanding, friendship and collaboration for the common good.
The Office of Ecumenical & Interreligious Affairs
The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs serves as a resource to the Bishop, the offices of the Pastoral Center, and the parishes throughout the Diocese of Orange to promote Christian unity and understanding among faiths; and to foster dialogue and friendship with members of Christian and non-Christian religions. Its work is guided by the teaching and directives of the Second Vatican Council, the Holy See, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, and the Bishop of Orange. The Diocese hosts committees consisting of clergy, religious and laypersons to serve as forums for dialogue and to foster ecumenical and interreligious collaboration and cooperation on issues pertaining to the common good.
The Office Provides:
- Speakers for ecumenical and interreligious subjects, issues and themes
- Guidance for parishes, ministries and individuals
- Diocesan events and services that include ecumenical and interreligious leaders and their members
- Fr. Al Baca, Episcopal Vicar of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs – [email protected]
- Michelle O’Donoghue – [email protected]
Ecumenical & Interreligious Commission
The Ecumenical & Interreligious Commission advises and assists the Episcopal Vicar in carrying out the responsibilities and duties of the Office. Members of the Commission serve as Diocesan delegates, developing new ideas for ecumenical and interreligious outreach, as well as planning and hosting special events sponsored by the Diocese.
- Rev. Al Baca, Episcopal Vicar
- Anthony Vultaggio, Chair
- Mike Cerro
- Deacon Christopher Ciraulo
- Kathy Ciraulo
- Deacon Tom Concitis
- John Hartmann
- Greg Kelley
- Rev. John Monestero
- Michael Mullard
- Mary Susa
Ongoing dialogue & monthly meetings on the diocesan level:
- Ecumenical Commission meets several times a year, both in person and online.
- Orthodox-Catholic priests dinner meets on the third Monday of the month.
- Jewish-Catholic Dialogue meets on the third Wednesday of the month.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints/Catholic dialogue meet on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
- Mormon-Catholic Dialogue meets the fourth Thursday of the month.
- Orange County Sheriff’s Interfaith Advisory Council meet at different times.
Ongoing Education, Ecumenical and Inter-religious Services
Ecumenical Panel Discussion – The Holy Eucharist
This video features presentations and discussions by the presenters:
Fr. William Goldin, St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church
Fr. Kyrillos Ibrahim, St. Paul Coptic Orthodox Church
Fr. Karekin Bedourian, 40 Martyrs Armenian Orthodox Church
Ecumenical & Interreligious Affairs Resources
- Vatican Resources
- [for a complete listing, please visit and search the Vatican website: http://w2.vatican.va/content/vatican/en.html]
- PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR PROMOTING CHRISTIAN UNITY
- PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR INTER-RELIGIOUS DIALOGUE
- COMMISSION OF THE HOLY SEE FOR RELIGIOUS RELATIONS WITH THE JEWS
- “Ut Unum Sint: On Commitment to Ecumenism”
- [ENCYCLICAL OF HIS HOLINESS POPE JOHN PAUL II, 1995]
- “Dialogue and Proclamation”
- [PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR INTER-RELIGIOUS DIALOGUE , 1991]
- “Nostra Aetate: Declaration on the Relationship of the Church to
- [PROCLAIMED BY HIS HOLINESS POPE PAUL VI ON OCTOBER 28, 1965]
- “Unitatis Redintegratio: Decree on Ecumenism”
- [SECOND VATICAN COUNCIL, 1964]
- Jewish organization opens an office at the Vatican
- [for a complete listing, please visit and search the USCCB website: http://www.usccb.org/.]
- USCCB COMMITTEE ON ECUMENICAL AND INTERRELIGIOUS AFFAIRS
- CATHOLIC ASSOCIATION OF DIOCESAN ECUMENICAL AND INTERRELIGIOUS OFFICERS [CADEIO]
- 2017 Commemoration of the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation Resource Guide
- Documents Produced By The North American Orthodox – Catholic Theological Consultation
- 2014 Joint Statement of the Jewish-Catholic Dialogue sponsored by The National Council of Synagogues and The USCCB Committee on Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs
- Resources for Understanding Islam
- “How Mary Holds Christians and Muslims In Conversation” [Cardinal William Keeler]