THE MOST REVEREND TOD D. BROWN D.D. ( View Coat of Arms )
Tod David Brown was born in San Francisco, California on November 15, 1936, the first of two children born to George and Edna Anne Brown, both now deceased. His brother, Daniel Brown, lives in Orinda, California, with his wife and children.
Bishop Brown received his early education at various schools in northern California. His seminary education and formation where at Ryan Seminary in Fresno, St. John's Seminary in Camarillo, both in California and North American College in Rome, Italy. He holds a BA from St. John's Seminary, a Bachelor of Sacred Theology Graduate degree from Gregorian University, Rome, and master degrees in biblical theology and education from the University of San Francisco.
Tod Brown was ordained to the priesthood on May 1, 1963 for the Diocese of Monterey in California. In the Diocese of Monterey he had various assignments, including parochial vicar, pastor, chairman of the Divine Worship Commission, chairman and member of the Presbyterial Council and Priests Pension Committee, and member of the Diocesan Board of Education. In addition, he served as Chancellor, Moderator of the curia and Vicar General.
On December 27, 1988, Pope John Paul II appointed him Bishop of Boise, Idaho. He was ordained and installed as Bishop of that See on April 3, 1989. On September 3, 1998, Bishop Brown was installed as the third Bishop of Orange, succeeding Bishop Norman McFarland, who had served the Diocese of Orange until his retirement.
Bishop Brown has served / is serving on the following committees:
- Former chairman of the Laity Committee for the National Conference Catholic Bishops
- Former member of the North American College Board of Governors and on the Lay Ministry Subcommittee and the Third Millennium Subcommittee
- Former member of Pastoral Practices Committee
- Former member of World Mission Committee
- Former Chairman and member of the Bishop's Committee on Ecumenism and Interreligious Affairs
- Former Member of the Administrative Committee
- Former member Bishop's Committee on Liturgy
- Member of the Orthodox - Roman Catholic Bishop's Dialogue
- Former member of the Pontifical Council on Inter-religious Dialogue
- Ex-officio board member of Orange Catholic Foundation
- Currently a consulter to the Bishop's Committee on Ecumenical Inter-religious Affairs